Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Dr. L said...

I spoke with Dr. L this afternoon. She understands my concerns. She said her rules are as follows:

Any baby over 4,500 grams = c-section
Any baby 4,000 grams or greater on HER scale = c-section.
Any baby UNDER 4,000 grams is okay to deliver vaginally.

Tiny is currently 3,360 grams... so we're cuttin' it pretty close. Basically, I have 3-4 days to go into labor.
Dr. L also stated, " I prefer babies of diabetics to be big.( Take that sonogram technician losers!) Many women with longstanding diabetes develop an ineffective placenta in the 3rd trimester, which means the baby will be small and malnourished. So don't worry about the size."
I explained the fact that I am terrified to have a stranger perform a c-section on me. She understood not only as a doctor, but as a mother. She trusts that collection of doctors in the practice are the best in the business, and that she trusts them as medical professionals and colleagues.
I really feel the need to go off by myself and have a good cry about this. I have built up a good relationship with Dr. L, ( I mean she STILL drags people in from the hall in the hospital to look at my tattoos) and I kinda had this ideal that she would be with me during the hardest hours of my life. Dr. L's bedside manner is perfect for me. She's understanding ... but has edge... which I love.

So if anyone has any labor inducing tips ( other than copious amounts of sex) they would be much appreciated. Either that... or send me some vibes to help Tiny stay in so when I DO have to have a c-section Dr. L is the one to do it... after she returns in 2 weeks.
Deep cleansing breaths... oh wait.. I CAN'T BREATHE someone's foot is in my lung!

3 comments:

Mama C-ta said...

OK, I'll do the deep breaths for you then. But you are entitled to a good cry.

First thing, I've been reading "Birthing from Within" and I've adopted the term Ceserean Birth. You may have to GIVE BIRTH by Ceserean, not BE c-sectioned.

2nd, it is very understandable that you'd be concerned about not being able to deliver vaginally but also without your preferred doctor. Believe me I really understand the birthing part. But the way Tiny is hanging on, it doesn't sound unrealistic that he/she can stick around for another 2+ weeks.


As far as inducing labor, I swear by nipple stimulation. You have to simulate a baby nursing so like 15 minutes (unless the baby was like Julian, then 3 minutes!) per side. But be forwarned it can bring on the REAL DEAL contractions so I don't recommend unless you are confident Tiny is ready. Use wisely and at your own risk :)

Sending you early labor vibes as well as ones to help Tiny stay in longer... you pick which ones you want to pick up on :) But all vibes lead to a very healthy and happy baby and Mama.

Mama C-ta said...

5 days w/out an update...is there a new baby around??

Amy said...

ha no babies yet.. just nothing worthwhile to talk about... still pregnant.. still contracting... starting to freak out that I'm not going to be sleeping a lot in the next couple of weeks...

You know all normal junk..

I'll definitely let everyone know when Tiny decides to make and entrance...

XOAme