Thursday, December 29, 2005

Christmas. I love it. I love the idea of a fat white man entering our home while we sleep... leaving more material stuff for our kids than we could have ever dreamed of... Naaaa I really do love it. I love the sounds and the smells. I love the kids excitement. I love giving gifts. I also love that Parker tracked soot through our house and knocked over the fireplace screen to make it look like Santa actually DID show up... just like my dad used to when Suze and I were little kids. Millie and Holden were totally into Christmas this year. We read " t'was the night before Christmas" at bed time... and Millie even slept without her noonie! ( with the promise that Santa would bring her a "Barbie doll" ( hey, if I'm not the one actually giving her a barbie. I'm down with that. + the Barbie I found was the " Barbie For President!" doll. I actually think this doll would do a better job than our current Pres... but that's a whole 'nother story, isn't it? ) Holden loved all the opening of gifts ( we limited each kid to 7) and had a blast on his new firetruck( that was promised to him if he gave up his noonie) Millie seemed a little grumpy and overwhelmed.. but got over it when we showed up at Meem's house.. which was packed to the gills with little screaming children playing with this year's installment of new toys. After a long day ... the day continued on ... and off we went to Beanie and PopPop's and opened what seemed like a never ending stream of new toys,clothes, and candy. I put a limit on my mom this year, but she obviously ignored me.. since a lot of the gifts that were given to the kids.. .are still at Beanie and Pop Pop's house. ( we couldn't fit them in the car!) The day was summed up by Holden as he was sitting in his bed. He said to my mom, " thanks for making Christmas come Beanie." OH MAN! There goes next year's limit! I think my mom teared up there a little. She said " ohh Holden , you are welcome, I'm so glad you had a great day." All I could do was think to myself.. " where in the H-E- double hockey sticks are going to put all of this stuff when we get home??? I'm trying to simplify and nest over here! You're not helping!" BUT I obviously appreciate my parents' generosity.Millie and Holden are going to put a box of " old toys" from their playroom together so we can make a donation to kids who don't have a Beanie. I would feel better knowing that Millie and Holden understand that not everyone is as lucky as they are, and that by giving up things that they used to play with, will help them learn about giving back to their community. Okay, I better get moving and bring in today's installment of toys that haven't made it in from the car. SOOOO many toys, so little time.

No comments: