Saturday, July 30, 2005

An update ... And a rant.

The update:

I saw Dr. Ratner this past week ( our computer crashed a few days ago.. So I've been without the internet for about 4 days.. Or I would have posted this earlier.) The visit was nice. The peeps joined me and I fell into pop-culture and packed my parents' portable DVD player. The kids watched Willy Wonka while I had my check up. The check up was good. My creatinine level is actually improving... and I'm passing less proteins than in the past. My blood pressure was 124/62. Pulse 70. Murmur is still going strong... and the thyroid still has a goiter.. But it's not growing. I have gained a total of 2 pounds since early June. ( Dr R assured me that that was "just fine." I was sent to see my dietician ( Cathy) and my diabetes educator ( Joan) to talk about what I am eating. Since I am on a diet that restricts me to 14 grams of proteins a day ( yep, that a total of 2 eggs) things need to radically change... For "Tiny." Cathy asked to see my records of everything I eat. After about 10 minutes of calculating she put her pen down and looked at me and said " you are supposed to eat 1,800 calories a day. You are eating about 850. Time to start pigging out." I was in awe. I said " then how in the heck have I gained ANY weight. She blamed it on blood volume and we talked about "beefing" ( w/out red meat/chicken and the like) up my diet. The kids were patient for about and hour.. Then things got a little hectic. "mom I hafta poop, poop,poop!"( jumping up and down holding his little butt) As well as," Mom, I needa nap.. Can we leave now?" ( my little snoozer girl) My meeting was over and all was well. Here's the problem: MORNING SICKNESS HAS OFFICIALLY KICKED IN. I actually drank diet ginger ale to combat the sickness.( something I didn't want to do because of aspertame) I have been feeling more run down and sicker than ever.....And I have to eat MORE? Ug. Oh well, I'll figure something out.

Okay so here's my rant: (prepare yourself.. You knew this was coming)
So I'm officially "out." I have told local friends, all of my family, and my family is telling friends. I have been so excited to tell people. Finally my dream has come true. Here's what I HATE( and you would too if you were me) It seems that when I tell people my news... The first response is: shock. ( understandably) Then it's typically: " congratulations!" Then it's: " is this okay?" Now most people leave it there. I explain the story, they listen... And all is well. The world will not end. A couple of people have felt the need to do the ol' standard horror story. I have read books, blogs, and heard people speak of the horror story... but I for some reason thought it wouldn't bother me because my head is in such a idealistic cloud. This one particular person( I call her CC~ who won't be given the address to my blog) felt the need to tell me all bout her friend ( a friend I actually know and have spoken to at length about her experiences) who has diabetes and developed Bells Palsy after her son was born. CC went on to explain all the "complications" ( weight gain... bedrest for 2 weeks... etc...) with her friend's pregnancy. I told CC that the complications described are typical with people who don't have diabetes, and that Bells Palsy is a nerve condition that is common and a risk to any woman who gets pregnant. Here's the kicker: CC has a funky uterus ( I learned about it the first day I met her) The funky uterus weakens with each pregnancy. She has been told by a perinatologist that each pregnancy will be shorter and shorter. The last pregnancy ended after the placenta ripped off at 33 weeks and she hemorrhaged. She has been told that each babe will arrive at least 4 weeks earlier than the last. She excitedly told me on Thursday "I'm gonna get pregnant in September!" ( first of all... God speed w/ that one girl.. I don't know many who can pinpoint the month they get pg)DEAL: CC is knowingly putting herself and the baby at risk so she and her husband can have a " SON." She is willingly putting herself at risk.. so her husband can " have someone to play sports with." ( is your skin crawling yet?) Here's why I'm so angry. SHE'S LECTURING ME ABOUT RISKS?... and not only that , when I left playgroup... she spoke about me and my decisions to the other playgroup mommies. She was saying things like, " Amy doesn't know what she's gotten herself into." "She has no idea how risky this is... I know because I saw my friend suffering." Now, I know I'm no better, because I am backstabbing her right now... but it's in defense. ( I know it's wrong) I just want to ask everyone a favor. Please don't make me hate you and talk about you in my blog in code. If you are going to tell a friend, please tell them that I am an intelligent person who has studied pregnancy for women with kidney disease for going on 4 years. Please tell them that I am doing remarkable well, and please tell them that if anyone has a horror story to share.. keep it to yourself. Pregancy is scary.. believe me, I know.

6 comments:

keri said...

Hame - Sadly enough, I expected no less from CC when she found out. It's just sad (and pathetic, frankly) & I will leave it at that

reet said...

i really think that secretly, cc is related to the little asshole from across the street. wasn't she supposed to move when little asshole did?! ugh....can i hit her. she would be able to just blame it on my white trash tattoos.....

reet said...

and there is no way she has a heart shaped uterus....i think it's asshole shaped....that said....lemme at'er....

Amy said...

asshole shaped uterus.. HAHA! Good one.

Mama C-ta said...

Ugh the stories, gotta love them, sorry Ame. People are f'in idiots I swear.

PS Hope my blog isn't one that had any horror stories. I'm sure it's not I'm just feeling really emotional and self-concious at the moment :(

Amy said...

no Cara~ your blog is not one of the blogs w/ horror stories.. luckily.. I already have had babies.. so I know the ins and outs of babyhood! I LOVE your blog.. stop feeling self consious