Wednesday, July 06, 2005

uh oh.

I saw Dr. Ratner today. My A1c is down to 6.1 ( from 7.5 a month ago) Dr. Ratner was very proud of me. He said my blood pressure was "great, just great." ( 128/63) My creatinine clearance( Creatinine is a protein produced by muscle and released into the blood. The amount produced is relatively stable in a given person. The creatinine level in the serum is therefore determined by the rate it is being removed, which is roughly a measure of kidney function. If kidney function falls (say a kidney is removed to donate to a relative), the creatinine level will rise. Normal is about 1 for an average adult. Infants that have little muscle will have lower normal levels (0.2). Muscle bound weight lifters may have a higher normal creatinine. Serum creatinine only reflects renal function in a steady state. After removing a kidney, if the donor's blood is checked right away the serum creatinine will still be 1. In the next day the creatinine will rise to a new steady state (usually about 1.8). If both kidneys were removed (say for cancer) the creatinine would continue to rise daily until dialysis is begun. How fast it rises depends on creatinine production, which is again related to how much muscle one has. A baby may need dialysis when the creatinine reaches 2, whereas a normal adult may be able to hold off until 10, or higher. ( The creatinine clearance test compares the level of creatinine in urine with the creatinine level in the blood, usually based on measurements of a 24-hour urine sample and a blood sample drawn at the end of the 24-hour period. Clearance is often measured as milliliters/minute (ml/min). My creatinine clearancce was .6 ( the same as a person's creatinine level without kidney disease) My cholesterol was down to 117. All was perfect.. well except the 4 pounds I gained. OH NO! Say it isn't so! I can't believe it. I have weighed in the low 120's for years. The last time I was there I weighed 127. Now= 131?? wha??????? How??? I hardly eat! I feel like booting all the time! Dr. Ratner wasn't upset, he said it was probably caused by "treating hypoglycemia." (ie: eating so much peanut butter and drinking so much milk, I have gained weight quickly. :( boo hiss. The other thing that mayyyy be happening is : since I have been bleeding,I was told that I was probably "doing too much, and take it easy for awhile."SOOO I have probably cut my excersize regime ( chasing the children all over creation) in half.( if not more) GREAT! Here I thought that I was kickin' butt w/ my diet. I have switched to skim milk, I eat cottage cheese for breakfast, I eat spinach for dinner almost nightly, I have been eating dried fruit and nuts for snacks, melon for dessert, not one soda, ( just 3 liters of water a day)no processed foods,no chips, no fried foods, a little bit of ice cream here and there, but mostly fresh fruit popsicles, & to top it off.. I haven't had ONE pudding ( my guilty pleasure) since I found out I was pregnant. So, I clean up my diet, and I gained weight? I am so frustrated! I think I can start walking this week since the bleeding has slowed way down. Dr. Ratner said " you will not gain one pound more than 25 pounds during this pregnancy. If you do, I will make you lose weight while you are pregnant." I'm in my 8th week, and already I'm on a diet.I did notince in the mirror ast night that my face was looking a little rounder. Ahh back to my high school face... ROUND. I was just starting to get used to my chin. Sigh... When you see me , instead of saying hello, just say "oink."

2 comments:

Mama C-ta said...

lol, you'll be fine in the weight area, there will be no need for you to go on a diet, I'm sure. It sounds like you have it all under control. If only I ate those things you are eating, I wouldn't be sitting here 60 lbs heavier with still a week to go :( I'm a double oink!

I'm glad to hear you are on the up and up though. Save us all a heart attack and please rest and TAKE IT EASY!!

Amy said...

if YOU are a double oink.. . then the only think I can hope for is to be a double oink too!( Cara ( for those of you who don't know her)is the most beautiful pregger) Have that baby so I can inherit your maternity clothes you stylish thing you!