Tuesday, September 13, 2005

My mom never told be there would be days like this

This marks my single most painful day of the past year. I know that people are out there having worse days... so I'm not going to blow this stuff out of proportion, but I do need to whine a little bit.

We have noticed over the past few weeks that HIP has been pretty thirsty, peeing a lot, ( wetting the bed etc..) and a general crank. Out of curiosity, we checked his bloodsugar. The first time it was 156 ( remember that "normal" is between 80 & 120) We were a little bit worried, but settled down after we re-checked his sugar 2 hours later and it was down to 107. We had some other higher numbers inbetween, but nothing too frightening. On Sunday, HIP drank 2 8oz bottles of water, turned down juice or Sprite, and was in such a bad mood. We checked his bloodsugar and it was 180. Okay... then we were scared. I called our pediatrician who said " um with numbers like that, until proved otherwise, I'm gonna call this diabetes." Here's where my "guilt meter" goes berzerker. * sigh. I took HIP to the lab this morning to torture him through a slew of bloodwork. We will find out tomorrow if all this was a fluke, or if we are going to have yet another diabetic in the family. I am a little freaked out. I have a hard time taking care of MY diabetes... how am I going ot take care of HIS??? ( worry worry worry)

The second thing that went wrong today was : Scarlett was diagnosed with: Bone Cancer as well as advanced lung cancer and plural effusion.( fluid in the chest cavity) Parker took her to the appointment and he reported all this sadness to me. We have an appointment on Thursday to get Scarlett started on radiation/chemo to help shrink the tumor in her leg. Bone cancer is extremely painful, and we're so sad for her... we want to do anything possible to help her feel better. Radiation/ chemo won't cure her, but it should make her leg feel a little bit better... ad it's better than amputation. ( which is typically how bone cancers are cured, but since Scarlett's cancers are so advanced, why put her through more hell than necessary.) I'm having a nincreasingly hard time with all this cancer business. Scarlett is such a good girl, what will I do without her? I don't want her to suffer, but I can't kill my friend. I cannot make the decision ot put her down. It's too much. I wanna find her some doggie percaset ( sp?) or something so she can just feel woozy, not like she's dying.

The third and final thing that drove me into a downward spiral of a physical and emotional breakdown was : The director at the kids' school is expecting a baby in December, and I found out today that she is naming her babe the name Parker and I picked for "Tiny" ( if Tiny is a girl.) Parker adn I have been saying " who would name their baby "________?"(
SO there you have it. I'm tired, scared, and all around emotional. I know that the people suffering through hurricane Katrina's wrath are going through worse, but just for this second, on this day, I wanna pout, 'cause all of this is very hard.

3 comments:

Mama C-ta said...

You have every right to pout just as much as the rest of us. I'm glad to hear HIP's blood tests came back OK, I hope it stays that way.

And what are the odds that she's using the same name. By the way, what is the name?? :)

Amy said...

ohh the name is a secret... :) I learned that from you, remember?? haha

Mama C-ta said...

DAMN ME! I wish I knew how it felt not knowing and wanting to know soooooooo badly!