Monday, June 20, 2005

Beta on the rise

Parker and I have just retuned from a fun Father's day weekend in OCMD w Keri & Brian...& the smartest baby I know, RAR. ( name withheld... for privacy.... but you know who I am talking about. :) ) I was a good girl and stayed off of the boat. ( due to some chatter about the motion of boats causing miscarriage) The weather was perfect for a boatride with my family, but I am not going to push anything with this pregnancy.As I have stated before.. and will continue to state: this pregnancy is a gift. The other thing I steered away from was : crabs. In all of their luscious salty-old bay yumminess... I didn't eat one bite... but I wanted to. I had a little trouble keeping my bloodsugar in the low 100's .. but I was diligent and just worked w/ my temporary basal. ( my insulin pump has a setting that I can control per bloodsugar. ie: in the old days if my blood sugar was 60.. I would eat a snicker bar and love life... 2 hours later , my sugar would be 280.. so I'd bolus per bloodsugar..and 2 hours later.. my bloodsugar would be 60 again. If I want a baby w/out preventable birth defects the goal is: keep my bloodusgar pattern on a steady line.. -vs- a roller coaster. To do that... instead of eating a snicker bar.. I lower my basal... drink a 1/2 cup of skim milk and eat a teaspoon of peanut butter.. and hour later my sugar should be in the low 100's which I call and "A" on my diabetes reportcard. Yes I know setting up each day to living up to a gradepoint average is hard.. but it's worth every effort... hopefully I won't get and "E".. but I will tell you.. a snicker bar is way better than dumb ol' skim milk and a scoop of peanut butter.) Other than obsessing over miscarriage ... trying to play off my hideous nausea...and screaming @ Millie for throwing sand in my face( something I REGRET... and blame on hormones) The weekend was fun.Some other medical updates: I saw Dr. Ratner on Friday. He complimented me on my palm pilot meal/bloodsugar chart.. but begged me to just write it on paper so I can see the trends. He told me " I'm the kind of person who will slap you if you are being dumb, and compliment you when you are doing well. Amy, you are doing very well, keep it up." I was tickled. He said there is a " goiter" on my thyroid.. but to expect that to grow during pregnancy, and it will be fine after delivery. He also added that I will be seeing him every 2 weeks until I'm 20 weeks. So I guess I'm gonna have to arrange to borrow that portable DVD player from my mom.. so the kids aren't too crazy during my appointments. I'm opposed to sitting them in front of the TV all the time.. but I need them to be quiet during my visits.. so I guess The video babysitter will have to do for now.The other update is that I heard back from my GYN's office and the nurse told me " honey, we saw a strong rise in beta cells... but I bet you could feel that huh?" She added that Dr. Wolfgram ( my GYN) is going to want to see me in addition to Dr. Landy. He wants to see next week.. just to see that everything is in place. So I guess it's official. If I didn't feel like throwing up right now.. I think I would be jumping in the air. I'll hold off until later. So, it seems that I have to boogie, Holden just walked in and said " mom, I fink I wanna wearn howta skate." I said, " on roller skates pal?" he said, "noooo on a board mom ( sigh)" My kid is 3 1/2 and I'm already a dork. Anyone out there know how to skateboard?

1 comment:

reet said...

you go hipster! uncle mike'll teach ya how ta sk8!!!