Wednesday, October 19, 2005

I know, I know.. it's been a while...

Okay. So I slacked. To make up for it.. here are a few updates.

On Tiny: Tiny is now measuring exactly 22 weeks in almost every measurement. ( except his/her belly... that is measuring a healthy 24 weeks) Tiny is 9" long and weighs 1 # 5 oz. We had to get a fetal echocardiogram done yesterday because apparently babies carried by diabetics have higher risks of having heart defects. According to the cardiologist, it was "almost silly" to have this procedure done because a woman w/ an A1C of 6.0 is not unlike the general population as far as carrying risks to her baby. As long as I keep my control tight, Tiny shouldn't be in any danger. Turns out that Tiny has something called "Tricuspid regurgitation."Tricuspid regurgitation is a disorder involving backward flow of blood across the tricuspid valve which separates the right ventricle (lower heart chamber) from the right atrium (upper heart chamber). Dr. Doroshow ( pediatric cardiologist) said that every baby has tricuspid regurgitation @ 22 weeks... it's just that Tiny ( who's heart is the size of a dime)seems to be showing a little more than average. The degree of this is so minor that it really isn't anything to worry about at this point. She would like to see us back in a month just to see if the condition is resolving or progressing. She said that maybe, just maybe a neonatologist should be present during the delivery... just to play it safe. SO we have that goin' for us.. which is nice.
On me: Upon leaving the cardiologist's office yesterday, I was overcome w/ sickness. I couldn't catch my breath. I was light headed, and literally felt like I was going to pass out in the parking lot. I got in my car and took a rest. I decided that it would be okay for me just to get home so I could lie down. I drove to Glen Echo ( about 4 miles away from Georgetown Hospital) and couldn't drive anymore, I was too worn out, my heart was beating SO HARD, and I was still very much out of breath. I put a call into Dr. Ratner. Of course he was in a meeting and couldn't be contacted. I called my OB and she was triple booked and said that if I wasn't feeling any better in a half an hour to go to labor and delivery to be evaluated. I was kinda paralyzed. I couldn't drive. Parker was up to his head in work stuff and I wasn't gonna drag him over to pick me up. An ambulance was silly. So, I took a nap in my car. After the nap, I drove very slowly back to the kids' school... and we came home, where I laid on the couch until 2 am. I really thought I was going to die. I had every symptom of pre- eclampsia except for one very important thing: my blood pressure was 75/46 ( <- & that ain't no high blood pressure) I developed keytones( A natural byproduct of anyone burning fat( not eating enough) is the formation of some ketones) in my urine because I had only eaten a crumpet, a granola bar and drank 2 liters of water all day. My mom came down to take care of the kids, because Parker had to take Scarlett into the ER to get tapped. Poor dog is starting to whine a lot... and her breathing is becoming very labored. She is hardly putting any weight on her front right leg. Scarlett takes 3 codeine pills a day now, and it just doesn't seem to help her at all. Okay, so I laid on the couch for 8 hours & finally got myself up to bed. I could not get comfortable all night, but I slept nevertheless. I felt a little bit better in the morning and was fine by the time I had to see Dr. Ratner @ 2pm. Dr. Ratner said I probably had a severe vegal response.( basically a response to a faint) He said that since I was on my back for so long during the fetal echo my circulation/ blood pressure was all out of whack, and basically just that action of lying flat on my back kicked my butt all darn day. He was concerned that my heartrate was 99, and ordered a cardiogram for me. Luckily my friend and phlebotomist Tatamika had to do the cardiogram on me. I said, "Tatamika, do I need to take off my bra for this procedure?" Tatamika responded by saying, "yes... but don't worry, I don't wanna look at your ticklebits." Seriously, I almost fell off the table laughing so hard. Tatamika is hilarious. Now don't get me wrong, I have fallen off of a table at a doctor's office in the past... but not from laughing. Picture it: we were in the middle of the IVF procedure, and I had a broken arm. ( snowboarding) I was in the office for a follicle check and my foot slipped off of one of the stirrups, and I fell off the table... pants off.. the works. Nice. Back to the point: my cardiogram came back fine yesterday. Tatamika didn't make fun of my "ticklebits" ( at least to my face) So all is currently well. Update on kids: Millicent Susan and Holden Iaquinta turned 4 last week. Ahh yesss... this is the time of year that I get all nostalgic. The color of the leaves, the cool evenings, the bright moon filled nights.. and oh yeah, the constant reminder that my kids endured 5 surgeries, and lived in the NICU @ St. Joseph's Medical Center in Baltimore for 3 months. I am thankful for what we experienced. It was a humbling introduction to parenthood. I think that if Millie and Holden were born at term, I would have been WAY more cocky. I know people who are cocky about parenthood. I hear them fussing over rules and regulations... feedings, who sleeps where and when, the best strollers on the market, and what kind of car has the safest crash test ratings. Who holds the baby and when.... & I hear them discussing activities and outings, like the world is lucky to have them. I will never be one of those parents, because I feel lucky to have my children at all, and I want to share them and their life stories with anyone who cares to listen., but I will never force info. It's not fair to my children. I feel like I can be the parent I am because Millie and Holden were 12 weeks early, and deathly ill, I learned to let life happen... not to try to control everything. Parents of healthy babies don't have that luxury. I don't mean to sound judgemental here, but do all parents look at their babies like it's the last time they would ever see them, and be thankful for that very moment in time? Parker and I did... and I know I still do. I can't speak for Parker. :) As hard as the tough times w/ discipline have been, I value those moments of stubborness and grace more than most lessons I have learned elsewhere. Millie and Holden enjoyed everything about their birthday this year except for 1) missing circle time @ school because of a car accident that made us late. 2) the break out of head lice at school that made us turn our car around and go home,( ie: no cupcakes) 3) the rain & 4) sharing their birthday with each other. Seems that the dynamic duo didn't want each other around for the festivities. So basically they enjoyed the hot dog and french fries dinner, ( per request) the peanut butter ice cream cake a la Cold Stone, & the presents. They are still enjoying their : new watches, new boots,( Millicent desperately wanted pink boots) and remote control cars. Life is fun here at the Parker house. ( except for @ bedtime... there is nothing fun about getting 2 wound up 4 year olds in bed. People always say " ohhhh I wish we had twins.. .I ALWAYS wanted twins. yada yada yada..." Well that's all well and good, but before you set yourself up for something you have NO IDEA about... come on over here @ about 9pm... I bet you leave our house saying" woo I sure am glad I had singletons." ( just ask Parker... he definitely has my back on this one.) )
All in all we are settling into the second trimester pretty well. I have accepted the fact that I am having a harder time breathing because Tiny is hogging up my abdomen. I have also accepted the fact that my boobs ( or " ticklebits" whatever you prefer) are unrecognizeably huge, and that's okay. Also the fact that my thighs rub, and I have noticed cellulite on my butt and fat rolls on my back are things I wished for for 8 years. AS funny as I feel like I look, I am okay with it. I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

1 comment:

Mama C-ta said...

Ha, ticklebits!

Glad to hear things are progressing, hopefully the rest of the pregnancy will be uneventful you know, until the birth!

You made a good point about being caught up in stupid parenting crap (which I am guilty of!) when should be thankful I don't know what it's like to look at him as if it could be the last time and that J has been healthy thus far.

Love you, want to see your pregger self in person!