Wednesday, January 17, 2007

There I was

I have not had a lot of time to myself lately. Gus has a cold from hell. He doesn't sleep well, and the ONLY thing that makes him happy is nursing. I understand that his little throat hurts ( his voice is even more froggy than usual) His nights are rough since he can't suck his thumb with a stuffy nose. This being said: I am up every 2 hours with a crying baby... and every 3 with a 5 year old who says he loves me so much he can't stay away from me. Sooooo flattering... but also very exhausting. For all of you co-sleepers out there.. hats off to you. I can't do it. I can't sleep with a 40 lb kid on my chest... a crying baby pulling my boobs out of my shirt... trigger thumb and carpel tunnel in both hands...an annoyed husband, and my diabetes technology( pump & receiver) all piled up in our bed. I'm the one in the middle wide awake and very uncomfortable and annoyed. My shrink says I'm "too available." I'm going to have to agree with her on that one. That being said, I asked my friend Cathy to watch Gus, and I made a hair appointment. Ahhhh, a few hours to myself. Just me and my stylist, Gregg. Not a care in the world. (we'll talk about my orange mohawk at a later time... I'm still getting used to it)UNTIL~ There in the salon. I am innocently sitting in the chair, mindin' my own... having foils applied to my head... & brown goo smeared all overthe place. The next thing I know a huge microphone is pushed up my nose. I pulled my face back only to see a camera with a big " Channel 9 News " printed on the side. The newsboy who's name I don't know( sorry I don't watch the news ever.. it's too depressing) Blurts out ( with no warning) " The census borough released a statement today saying that 51% of American women are not married. Does this percentage surprise you?" Not realizing the camera was actually on I blurt out,"well, yeah! But do you have to ask me this question when I have foils on my head? Couldn't you aks me this when my hair is finished?" The dude sighed and moved on to the next victim. I mean REALLY? Did he have to just turn on the camera with no warning? I looked like a big idiot . Here's the thing. The woman next to me said that she believed that children need to be raised with a mother and a father yada yada yada.. Sure... for SOME. I obviously feel that marriage was the route for me.. but marriage isn't for everyone. Why does society establish that the " norm" is marriage . I don't think it's fair to project that opinion. What if a single mom enjoys her lifestyle. Why is it up to me to say " you need to a husband to make your life complete?" That's not up to me. If I didn't have foils on my head I would have been able to say that to the dumb newscaster dude. Alas... too late, as usual. For now, I am going to get used to my new fashion forward hair color.

No comments: