Friday, November 16, 2007

Ideal-vs-real

I quite often think to myself, " why is this so hard???" I watch other people sit at tables in resturants with multiple children who are eating what is on their plates and speaking with their inside voices. Most of the time these said children are staring in disbelief at our table. I know, I know, These times will pass and we will look back and laugh. Well, I'm not sure about the laughing part. When we leave public places, most of the time Parker and I are arguing because we are so stressed out, and both of us are in a full body sweat. I have compiled a list about things in my life that I would like to change, but I know I can't at the moment.



Ideal:Children wake up pre-dressed for school and willing to eat what I put on the table for them.
real: Children take 45 minutes to get themselves ready for school , even when I am helping them. They eat a bowl of frosty coated sugar bombs because that's all we have time for.



ideal:My 21 month old would understand that I am trying to cut back on how many times a day he nurses.

real: as much as I adore nursing my boy, it is becoming a bit of an issue. He nurses wherever and whenever he wants. I can't walk up the steps without him dangling off of me while he scratches my boob out. My chest has cuts all over it. He nurses on one boob while he holds the other nip in place... and then switches. I don't care about nursing in public, or if people get a glimse of the nips, I'm just to the point where I want him to understand that even though he wants to nurse,I don't always agree... and it is my body too. I have him down to nap time and bedtime. So far so good... but it's only been 4 days.



ideal:My kitchen would automatically clean itself.

real. HA, yeah right.



ideal: the laundry fairy wouldn't be on permanent vacation

real: there is a pile of laundry that runs the length of the Andes from one end of the house to the other.



Ideal:My 6 month old puppy would only pee and poop outside. He would also only chew on his toys.

real: Devo is a 1,000mph sneak. He can run upstairs and take a shit and chew up a beloved babydoll faster than it takes to chase him up the stairs to spray him with the "bad doggie bottle." He IS only 6 months old. I need to cut him a break.



Ideal: the kids' schools would be about 20 minutes closer.

real: the kids' school is 30 minutes away without traffic.



Ideal: I could get to sleep at night.

real: I crash while I nurse Gus to bed @ 8:30. Wake up at 11. Clean the kitchen,feed the dogs, pack lunches, fold the 3 loads of laundry I didn't fold earlier in the day, feed the guinea pig, get the the kids to the bathroom, tuck everyone in, let the dogs out, take a shower, nurse crying baby, sneak away after an hour,let freezing dogs back in the house and "tuck them in",turn off every single light in the house and finally fall into bed at 4:30 am. Up at 7:15. I haven't gotten into bed before 4:30 in close to a month. I dream about sleeping and how easy it used to be.



Ideal: the toys would be alive and put themselves away at night.

real: well, if they are alive.. they stay up all night partying at their little toy keggers, and pass out wherever they fall. What a bunch of lushes. To think, I thought Polly Pocket had a little more self respect.





Ideal: Gus' school would stay open and in it's current location.
Real: Gus' school is temporarily closing and moving to a new location. The new location is simply too far away. I'm not sure I can handle the change. I LOVE his little school, his teachers, the kids in the program, all of the little animals( frogs, hampsters,birds, turtles, a bearded dragon, and a dog) Gus can hold and love, and so much more. I just don't think I want to add more stress to our lives. I am considering moving Gussy to a new school that has a 2 year old Montessori program. This is the school that took over MS & HIP's old nursery school... so there are teachers that I know and LOVE . They knew Gus when he was "Tiny" in my belly.I would feel good about sending him to the new school... I'm just really bad at telling people that the new changes aren't going to be good for our family's best interest. I'll miss Gus' little Toddler community.

Ideal: Thanksgiving would take place at our house.
real: THAT WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER, HAPPEN.

The list goes on and on, but that's just me being a perfectionist. and whiney . I think I need a nap.

No comments: